This weekend I finished reading the 3rd book in the Hunger Games trilogy. Now, I don't plan on giving anything away, as I know that lots of people are still reading it. But here is what I will say. I am an optimistic person. I choose to see the best in people. That doesn't mean that I am blind to the wickedness and evil that is present in the world we all live in. I know it is there. I know that human beings can be horrible to one another. But I believe in the goodness of the majority of God's children. I choose to see the good.
That being said, I was disappointed with the book, because I felt that the hope for change, for people doing the right things for the right reasons, and not just for power, was gone. And I don't believe that the majority of human beings are all after power, money, or their own self interests. I will also admit that I like happy endings. I have a hard time accepting stories that don't end "right" in my eyes. I am a romantic, idealist. Which isn't always easy to be. :O) But that is how I view the world. I did like who Katness ended up with. He was my choice, but I wish that Katness would have made the choice earlier in the book. However, like my sister Lynne said on her blog, I didn't write the story, so it isn't up to me on how it unfolds. I did like the book, but not as much as the first two.
I guess I also have a hard time taking my belief in God out of the things I read. Don't get me wrong, I can easily get lost in a good book. But in the back of my mind, I always know that there is hope, there is joy, that life is about finding the joy and good. And maybe part of my disappointment was due to the fact that the love story wasn't even close to the main story line.
Spoiler Below:
Like I said, I'm a romantic and when someone is as good as Peeta, he deserves to be happy. At least that is how I see it.
Stephanie, I liked what you said. I think the reason I didn't like the book is because I wanted more. I too believe that good will prevail because there is a God. I thought it would end differently and I guess that is why I didn't like it . . . and the violence.
ReplyDeleteThere are some things I didn't like about the book but I find myself defending it at the same time. It didn't leave me as depressed as a lot of my friends. I found hope in the ending. That life goes on no matter what you've been through.
ReplyDelete